What we don’t support 😥
Unsupported Post Types
- Facebook/Instagram Stories
Unfortunately, we do not track Facebook or Instagram Stories. Not only are they ephemeral and thus disappear after 24 hours, but also the metrics are not publicly available and CrowdTangle only provides public data.
- Facebook Events are not currently tracked in CrowdTangle.
- Facebook Fundraisers are not currently tracked in CrowdTangle.
- Facebook Watch Parties are private viewing experiences between users. While the video content may be public, the Watch Party is not.
- Most geo-gated Facebook posts
Geo-gated posts come in many forms. Sports content is a common example. Often broadcast rights are negotiated region by region, or country by country. A particular Facebook page might only have rights to post a live feed of a football match in Mexico, so the posts will be geo-gated to Mexico. CrowdTangle will most likely not be able to surface these posts.
Unsupported Account Types
- Private Facebook Groups
A group must be public to be tracked in CrowdTangle, which means that user posts in public groups are available. Please note that "private groups" were formerly referred to as Closed or Secret.
- Private Instagram accounts
By default, anyone can see a profile and their posts on Instagram. Users can make their account private so that only followers can see what they share. This can happen at any time and can be switched back and forth. If their account is set to private, the content will be be made unavailable. It can take up to 24 hours for a change to the private or public setting of an account to be reflected in CrowdTangle.
- Facebook Personal Profiles
Personal profiles are generally not available in CrowdTangle. The only exceptions are profiles that are verified and have the follow button turned on -- those will be available in CrowdTangle. This is a very small subset of profiles, including Mark Zuckerberg, Reid Hoffman, politicians, and journalists. Inside the product, they are referred to as Verified Public Profiles.
Unsupported Post Metrics
CrowdTangle doesn't track the following metrics:
- 1-min views
- Link Clicks
- Any demographic information (age, gender, etc.) on the post or page-level.