This is the primary Intelligence overview article. If you need help troubleshooting, check out the Intelligence FAQ here.
What is Intelligence?
Intelligence lets you study up to 20 Lists or individual social accounts Pages, accounts, or subreddits to see overall performance trends over time with easy to understand graphs and charts. You can also quickly compare the Lists or accounts to each other and export everything as either a PDF or CSV.
Why Would I Use Intelligence?
- If you want to track the performance trends of your own accounts or Pages over a certain point in time (See how Cultura Colectiva does this)
- If you want to compare your performance against that of your competitors during a specific news cycle or other period of time (See how Webedia Brasil does this)
- If you want to compare the performance of pages or accounts over different points in time (i.e. Comparing post-release performance for movie-themed pages that were released in different months)
- If you want to determine which content most drove performance at a given point in time (See how Buzzfeed doe this)
April 2019: Added filters for Branded Content.
March 2019: You can now see video views and video count by video length.
December 2018: You no longer need to include Pages/Accounts in a Dashboard's Lists in order to pull it into an Intelligence graph. Note- FB Verified Profiles still need to be added to a List first before they will show up in Intelligence.
February 2018: Intelligence can now export multiple graphs at once
January 2018: Intelligence now allows you to compare the performance of pages or accounts over multiple points in time
How Do I Use Intelligence?
Getting to Intelligence
You can access Intelligence by clicking on "Go to Intelligence" under the "Intelligence" dropdown at the top of your CrowdTangle account.
Adding Pages, accounts, or subreddits to the Intelligence graph
It doesn't matter which dashboard you enter from, Intelligence can pull in data from Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Reddit.
Your Intelligence graph can give you information about up to 20 Lists, Pages, accounts, or subreddits, but you can only pull data from one platform at a time. i.e. You can't view data from a Facebook Page and an Instagram account on the same graph.
You can add any Page, Account, Group, or subreddit directly into the Intelligence graph, but if you want to look at data for a Facebook Verified Profile, you will first need to make sure that Profile has been added to one of the Lists in any of your Dashboards.
Note that if you are adding a Page, Group, or Account that wasn't previously in the CrowdTangle database, the system will need some time to pull in historical data. You should see some recent data immediately, but it can take up to an hour to pull in the rest. CrowdTangle is also unable to pull in historical data on Follower count or Page Likes. CrowdTangle will be able to show Page LIkes/Follower count growth from the first day it was added to the database onward, however.
What Intelligence Tracks: Overview
Intelligence can show you Page/account/subreddit-level information about specific interactions, video views, interaction rate, post count, and Page likes/account followers. Alternately, you can get the same information about the performance of entire Lists.
Clicking on a particular point on an Intelligence graph will also bring up the posts that earned the largest number of interactions.
There are several filters on the right side of the Intelligence graph that you can use to hone in on specific things:
- Post Type: This allows you to narrow your data to specific types of posts
- Interaction Type: This allows you to focus on trends among key types of interactions
- Date Range: You can select a single date range, or you can use the date comparison tool to select multiple date ranges
- Group By: This allows you to view the data by specific time intervals
Video Length: You can look at all owned and shared video by count and length.
Exporting, Sharing, and Saving Intelligence Data
You can export Intelligence graphs as PDFs or CSVs to easily present the data to others.
Using the share report feature will generate a URL that will allow anyone with access to your dashboard to view a specific report. Reports can also be saved to return to at a later time.
You can also choose to save a report to come back to at a later date- which is useful for monthly reporting or operations reviews. To do so, you can click on the bookmark icon on the Intelligence graph bar at the top of the page.
To create a new report one, create a name for it in the "Search or Create Report" text bar, and then click on "Create". In the future you can access your saved reports either from the bookmark icon or the Intelligence drop down menu at the top of the page.
Intelligence graphs can be set to compare the performance of either entire Lists or a specific page, group, account, or subreddit over two (or more) points in time. If a single List, Page, account, or subreddit is on the Intelligence graph, clicking on Compare Dates will open up three options:
- Previous 3 Months: This option will compare the last three months starting from today against the three months prior to that period.
- Previous Year: This will compare the last three months against the last three months one year ago.
- Custom: This option will bring up additional options as noted below.
Note: If multiple Lists, Pages, accounts, or subreddits are on the Intelligence graph, you will only have access to the Custom option (below)
- Select Timeframe: This will allow you to select the duration of time that will be represented on the Intelligence graph. You can choose: 7 days, 30 days, 3 months, 6 months, and one year.
- Select Dates: This will allow you to choose whether you want Intelligence to look forward or look back from the specific date(s) you choose below.
- Date/Time: Here you can select a specific date you want to look forward from or look back from. You may choose multiple timeframes for the same Page, account, or subreddit if you'd like. If you have selected multiple Pages, accounts, or subreddits you can select a different date for each.
Grouping the Data
You can choose whether the timeframe between any two dots on an Intelligence graph represents a day, a week, or a month by using the "Group By" filters.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Can I add an entire List to the graph instead of individual Pages or accounts?
A: Yes- as long as the List has 500 or fewer Pages or accounts in it.
Q: Why is it that sometimes when I'm trying to find a specific Page, account, or subreddit, it's not coming up in the Intelligence search bar?
A: The Intelligence search bar searches through all of the Pages, Groups, accounts, and subreddits in all of the Lists you have access to (in all of your dashboards). If a specific one isn't showing up, add it to a List in one of your dashboards. Intelligence should be able to find it then.
Q: How does CrowdTangle determine what time it is?
A: CrowdTangle will base the time off of the time zone selected in your account profile.